Clark Hill Thorp Reed lawyers exemplify the firm’s commitment to hard work, high ethical standards and dedication to client service. Our attorneys practice in diverse areas of law, and combine a multidisciplinary approach to solving legal problems. The bottom line: Clients of Clark Hill Thorp Reed benefit from attorneys whose expertise and commitment deliver effective client outcomes and superior legal service.
Douglas E. Gilbert
Mr. Gilbert engages in a transactional-based business law practice, representing clients of all sizes, across a wide variety of industries. He has significant experience with corporate mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, re-structurings, and private equity transactions as well as many and varied financing transactions for publicly and privately held businesses. In addition to his transactional-based business law practice, Mr. Gilbert served for over a decade as outside general counsel to a construction and engineering firm, headquartered in Pittsburgh, which conducted large-scale design/build construction projects throughout the United States and Canada.
Mr. Gilbert was Chair of the firm's Executive Committee and the firm’s Managing Partner from May 1995 to July 2007. During his leadership of the firm, Thorp Reed & Armstrong more than doubled in size and achieved consistent growth in revenue and profit, arriving at the top quarter in economic performance for mid-west firms of its size and larger.
Mr. Gilbert served from 1990 to 1995 and from 2007 to 2010 as the Department Head of the Firm's Corporate Department. Since October, 2010, he has acted as the Partner Responsible for Administration and Operation, while continuing his practice.
- J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1977
- B.A., History, Brown University, 1974
Professional / Civic Activities
- Trustee, Addison H. Gibson Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Allegheny County Bar Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors of the United Way of Allegheny County (1999-2003)
- Member, Board of Trustees, The Winchester Thurston School (1991 - 2000); Serving at various intervals as a member of the Executive Committee, and as Chair of the Buildings and Grounds and Development Committees
- Served for over a decade as a member of the Board of Deacons and as a member of Session, The Shadyside Presbyterian Church; responsibilities included leading the Stewardship Campaign; recently renewed commitment to serve for third 3-year term as Elder.
- Chair, Large Law Firm Division, Scouting for Food Drive (1996-1998)
- Member - Regional Investors Council (Allegheny Conference)
Bar / Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association (Former Program Chair and Vice Chairman of the Corporation, Banking and Business Law Section)
- AV® rated by Martindale-Hubbell peer review board