Clark Hill Thorp Reed lawyers exemplify the firm’s commitment to hard work, high ethical standards and dedication to client service. Our attorneys practice in diverse areas of law, and combine a multidisciplinary approach to solving legal problems. The bottom line: Clients of Clark Hill Thorp Reed benefit from attorneys whose expertise and commitment deliver effective client outcomes and superior legal service.
Kimberly Ward Burns
Kimberly Ward Burns is a member in our General Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group. She has experience serving individuals and corporate clients, including both for-profit and non-profit entities, and established and emerging growth companies.
In addition to providing general counsel and advice to clients on matters including business formation, corporate governance, ownership succession issues, business planning, the preparation and negotiation of a variety of contracts and transactional documents, Kim assists clients in evaluating, structuring, negotiating and documenting complex transactions, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, corporate reorganizations, financing transactions (debt and equity), joint ventures (domestic and international) and real estate acquisitions, sales and leasing. She has served clients in a wide variety of areas, including manufacturing and distribution, transportation and logistics, franchising, healthcare and entertainment industries. Kim has also represented individuals in a wide array of matters, including stock redemptions, executive compensation and severance matters.
Prior to attending law school Kim was employed by the New England Regional Office of the American Arbitration Association, where she supervised the commercial, construction, and insurance caseloads and was responsible for coordinating the screening of new members of the arbitration panel and coordinating and conducting arbitrator training programs. During this time Kim completed a Basic Mediation Training Program (33 hours) facilitated by the Cambridge Dispute Settlement Center.
- J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1999
Magna Cum Laude
Order of the Coif
Problem writer on the 1998-1999 Appellate Moot Court Competition Board
Managing Editor on the Journal of Law and Commerce
- B.A., Economics, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1987
Professional / Civic Activities
- Member, Board of Directors, Family Hospice and Palliative Care
- Member, Board of Directors, Pittsburgh Youth Philharmonic Orchestra
- Member, Board of Directors, Westminster Child Development Center/Westminster Nursery School
- Chair-Elect and Council Member, Business Law Section, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Title 15 Drafting Committee, Business Law Section, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, LLC Standard Forms Task Force, Business Law Section, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Former Member, Allegheny County United Way Impact Fund Cabinet
- Former Member, Governance Subcommittee of Board of Trustees, Pittsburgh Arts and Lectures
Bar / Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Western United States District Courts for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association (Women in the Profession Committee)
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
Publications / Presentations
- Presenter, "Piercing the Corporate Veil," PBI Seminar, May 2012.
- "Entering the United States Market: Business Entity Selection, Location and Formation," Communiqué, April 2012.
- Presenter, “Post Closing Price Adjustments,” Financial Executives International (Pittsburgh Chapter) Seminar, March 2012, TRA Seminar, November 2012.
- Presenter, “Commercial Document Series 2011 – LLC Documents,” PBI Seminar, March 2011.
- Presenter, “Preparing LLC Documents,” PBI Seminar, March 2010.
- Presenter, “Business Valuation Issues and Opportunities in a Down Economy,” TRA seminar, January 2010.
- Presenter, “Dealing with Financially Troubled Companies,” TRA seminar, June 2009.