Clark Hill Thorp Reed lawyers exemplify the firm’s commitment to hard work, high ethical standards and dedication to client service. Our attorneys practice in diverse areas of law, and combine a multidisciplinary approach to solving legal problems. The bottom line: Clients of Clark Hill Thorp Reed benefit from attorneys whose expertise and commitment deliver effective client outcomes and superior legal service.
James K. Goldberg
James K. Goldberg is Co-Leader of the firm’s Corporate / Mergers and Acquisitions practice group and a member of the Executive Committee of the firm.
Jim has experience serving individuals and corporate clients, including both for-profit and non-profit entities, as well as established middle market companies and emerging growth companies. Jim regularly acts as outside general counsel for clients, and provides counsel to clients with respect to mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, corporate reorganizations, financing transactions (debt and equity), joint ventures (domestic and international) and real estate acquisitions, sales and leasing. He also counsels boards of directors on strategic issues and corporate governance matters. Jim has also represented individuals in a wide array of business matters, including executive employment agreements, stock redemptions, executive compensation arrangements and severance agreements. Jim also counsels clients in the areas of ERISA and employee benefits law, general tax, and in many facets of estate and succession planning and estate administration.
Prior to joining Clark Hill Thorp Reed, Jim served as an estate tax attorney for the Internal Revenue Service.
- J.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1971
- B.S., Business Administration, Lehigh University, 1967
Professional / Civic Activities
- Member of the Finance Committee, United Jewish Federation
- Member of the Board of Directors, Hebrew Free Loan Association
- Member of the Board of Directors of numerous private companies, including Genco Distribution System, Inc., Hussey Copper Ltd., and National HVAC
- Former member of the Board of Directors and Audit Committee, Jewish Healthcare Foundation
Bar / Court Admissions
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Tax Court
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Allegheny County Bar Association
Publications / Presentations
- “New Rules for ’Deferred Compensation:’ What’s Covered and What’s Not?” Communiqué, March 2005.
- “Compensation and Benefit Client Alert: Involuntary Distributions and Automatic Rollover Requirements for Distributions Made On or After March 28, 2005,”Communiqué, March 2005.